Explore more on the page
Smart Pedal Pitch Lisboa 2021
Smart Pedal Pitch is back: The unique cycling innovation competition heads for Lisboa!
Smart Pedal Pitch is an international call for the most innovative and market-ready cycle tech solutions, to shape the future of cycling in cities. Applications are open today and close on 6th August 2021.
The first edition took place at Velo-City 2019 Dublin, with winning contestants piloting their projects out on the streets of the city. In 2021 the Smart Pedal Pitch returns, to look for the best solutions in one of the world’s most creative entrepreneur ecosystems, Lisboa, (Lisbon) Portugal. The 2nd Smart Pedal Pitch will be hosted during Velo-city 2021 Lisboa from 6-9 September, by the Lisboa City Council, the European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF), Cycling Industries Europe (CIE), the Bicycles and ITS Project (BITS) and other local partners.
Pitch Your Smart Cycle Tech
Ten companies will be invited to the final pitching at the world’s leading cycling conference, Velo-city 2021 Lisboa, giving them a global audience for their product.
The winners of the final pitch will be invited to run an extended “proof of concept” for their innovation on the streets of Lisboa, supported by a full package of innovation support from local and international partners. At the end of the pilot the winners can expect their product or service to be piloted, evaluated and communicated to a global audience of cities, business leaders and advocates, providing a huge boost to market prospects.
Lisboa City Council is committed to piloting and validating the winning ideas, so we are seeking solutions that have the potential to be scaled rapidly and deliver real impact for cyclists and the city.
The application is subject to the Rules of the Smart Pedal Pitch which can be found here.
Applications are invited to address at least one of the 4 defined areas set by the City of Lisboa:
- “Seeking Better Data” to better use cycling data to understand local issues.
- “Promoting Safer Cycling” to prevent cycling accidents or improve the general perception of cycling safety.
- “Cycle Security” to improve bicycle security, through the reduction of bicycle theft and the improvement of parking solutions.
- “Logistics and Intelligent Transport System on Cycling” to apply intelligent transport systems to cyclists.
Ten short-listed companies
- Invited to the pitching semi-final on September 7th*
- Get exposure to Velo-city’s local and global audience
- Free STANDARD 4-day ticket for the event, valuing €850 (one per finalist company)
- Free 3-day extension on STAND UP BOOTH in the Velo-city Expo, so you can show your project for the all 4 days for €750 (saving €2.250)
- 15 months free membership of CIE’s Cycling Innovation Network, the international support network for cycling innovators, start-ups and entrepreneurs (worth at least €750)
Three finalists will
- Pitch their solutions on the Velo-city plenary stage on September 8th, which will also be broadcasted live to international conference-goers
- Get global recognition by appearing in a special news article about the finalists, promoted by CIE and the BITS project
- Pilot your solution in Lisboa’s streets and gain proof of concept in a live environment **
- Enjoy six months free hosting in an incubation environment during the pilot period
- Access the Lisboa Growth Program where the Lisboa's Perks package gives early-stage entrepreneurs access to over 500k euros in free perks from local service providers
- Receive mentorship from local experts and partners in the incubator host
- Showcase your pilot internationally via the BITS Project and the Cycling Innovation Network
- Create opportunities for potential further international roll out
*Additional financial support to attend the Velo-city Congress is available from the BITS project for small companies that have their base in the North Sea Region and have not attended Velo-city before. Contact CIE for more information.
**Subject to terms and conditions, please read the full Rules and Judging document for details.